Claire Ann Richman is a partner in the bankruptcy and insolvency group of Steinhilber Swanson LLP in Madison, WI. In addition to commercial bankruptcy and insolvency matters, both commercial and personal, she concentrates her practice in litigation, contract disputes, debt collection and real estate.
Claire Ann has had a distinguished career, serving for many years as an appointee to the panel of Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustees by the United States Trustee program. She has been selected annually since 2005 for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers, and in 2005 was also selected as one of the Top 25 Women Super Lawyers in Wisconsin. She served for six years as a director of the American Bankruptcy Institute (with special responsibilities for the organization’s legal education programs) and has held several leadership positions with the State Bar of Wisconsin Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Creditors’ Rights Section, including chair of that organization. Over her career in bankruptcy, she has represented debtors, creditors, creditors’ committees, landlords, tenants, investors and most other parties in interest who could have issues before the bankruptcy court and state court.
She is also a frequent lecturer on bankruptcy issues and hot topics and has spoken in recent years at conferences including programs for the United States Trustee Training Program, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, the American Conference Institute, News and Credit Collections, the State Bar of Wisconsin, the University of Wisconsin Law School, the National Business Institute and Lorman Education Services. She is also a published author in the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees Journal.
Ms. Richman is a debt relief agent. She helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.
Areas Of Practice
- Commericial Bankruptcy & Insolvency
- Consumer Bankruptcy & Insolvency
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collection
- Real Estate
- Wisconsin, 1993
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1997
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2002
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2002
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- J.D. – 1993
- Marquette University
- B.A. – 1987
- Major: Education
- “A Discussion of Trustee Ethics Issues”, National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees Journal, Co-Author of Quarterly Column, with Honorable Steven W. Rhodes
- Lecturer: Chapter 7 Trustee Ethics Issues, American Bankruptcy Institute, National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, and United States Trustee Training Program
- Lecturer: Bankruptcy Ethics Issues for University of Wisconsin Law School
- Lecturer, Maneuvering the Minefield of Exemption Planning, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Lecturer: Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Collections, Lorman Education Services and National Business Institute
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bankruptcy Institute , Past Board of Directors, past chair of Central States Advisory Board
- State Bar of Wisconsin Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Creditors’ Rights Section, Past Chair
- Western District of Wisconsin Bankruptcy Bar , Secretary
- American Bar Association, Member
- Dane County Bar Association, Member